Thursday, October 15, 2009

life without mobile...







marissa writes a blog on thursday...





So last night my mobile phone stopped working. Before you panic - it's ok now. I think it was just overworked and needed a bit of a time out :)


What surprised me was how much I felt the loss. To give you an idea, here's a run through of what my HipTop and I went through last night..


9pm: Everything going fine - just sitting on the lounge, writing last night's blog on the laptop, with my trusty HipTop sitting next to me. Just quietly enjoying each other's company.


10.30pm: Hmm, somethings not quite right... I take a look at the clock and realise it's half past ten, which is baby Sophie's last bottle time for the night. Normally my alarm on my mobile goes off at 10.20pm to remind me to get her bottle ready - but tonight it didn't... weird.

PS - Yes, I set an alarm for Sophie's feed times. But to clarify, I don't set them to remind me to feed her, I set them because when I get involved in something - a movie, conversation, blogging, etc - I lose track of time really easily. So I set an alarm to make sure I am always prepared. For more information, see my previous post on routine and structure (14/10/09) for more detail.)


11.30pm: After Sophie goes back to bed, I take a look at my phone and notice that the alarm did go off, but it was silent. Check the settings and volume, no problem there, so I'm not sure why it didn't have sound (especially as it has worked every other night on the same setting).


11.40pm: I decide to try my universal fix for all mobile phone issues - turn it off and then turn it on again. As this problem is a big one, I also add the extra effort of crossing my fingers and wishing really hard that it fixes itself. No luck. And to make things worse, it didn't even turn off properly! Now it was just showing this white screen :(


11.45pm: Try taking the battery out to turn the phone off properly. No luck. Can't get it out.


11.46pm: Hand the phone to Ben and ask him to take the battery out for me. This works. Excellent. Good job Ben.


11.47pm: Try turning the phone back on again. No luck. Whoops, I seem to have made the situation worse.


11.48pm: Decide it must be a flat battery. Try plugging phone in and turning it on again. Nope, still won't turn on.

At this point, it's getting close to midnight, and I really need to be in bed. Normally I browse through Facebook and Twitter in bed on my phone until I get drowsy, so after putting up with me giving big 'I wish my phone worked' sighs, Ben offered to lend me his.

Such a nice gesture - but it's not the same as my phone. Ben's phone is fancier, has more features etc etc. But it has one of those virtual keyboards, and mine has real keys, so that wasn't going to work for me. Plus I don't know all the keyboard shortcuts or how to bring the internet up on it. And if you turn the phone on it's side, the picture turns around so that it's upright again. What if I want to look at it sideways (although, to be fair, I haven't wanted to yet. But that could change...)?

The good news is when I woke up this morning and turned my phone on, it worked this time! I have no idea why, but I was so glad to see it again. I didn't realise how much I would miss it. Crazy.

All I can say is, let's hope the computer or TV doesn't go on the blink, then I'd be in real trouble. Lucky I still have books, cooking and Ben and baby Sophie to keep me entertained :)

See you next time,

xo Marissa.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...