Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Marissa at the movies...








marissa writes a blog on tuesday...






So lately I have been dying to go to the movies. It's one of my favourite things to do, and before baby Sophie was born, I would go every couple of weeks. Don't get me wrong, Sophie is way better than the movies, and I wouldn't trade her for anything :) I just miss the movie experience at the moment.


My love of going to the movies started back when I was a waitress in a restaurant next door to a movie theatre. I worked split shifts (11am - 3pm, 5pm - 11pm), so had a couple of hours to fill in between work hours on most days. Some of us would go to the movies on split shift days - after all, the 2 hrs from 3 - 5 was perfect timing. Ah, good times...


I like to think of myself as an Equal Opportunity movie goer. I'll see anything - action, comedy, drama, documentary.... It doesn't have to be good either. I'll see the movies with bad reviews as well - you know, the ones that only stay in the cinema for 2 weeks and only have one session running at 10.30am? Yep, I'll go to those too. Hey, someone has to.


I especially love going to the movies by myself. No offense to anyone who has seen a movie with me in the past, I have a great time going with other people as well, but I have a whole ritual going by myself that leaves me feeling content, peaceful and generally very happy. Here are the mandatory factors in my solo movie experience:


Go at a slow time: I never go by myself on Friday, Saturday or Tuesday night - these are the busiest ones. As comfortable as I am going alone, something just feels weird when you are the only solo movie goer on what appears to be date night! And there's always the risk that a) you'll run into someone you know who might think you've been stood up, or b) another solo movie goer will see you sitting by yourself and sit with you to keep you company and chat - which is a nice gesture but completely negates the whole going solo in the first place. Solo movies are great for when you need a bit of peace and quiet, or are having a bad day, or have bad hair and no make up on, or are just going to see a movie that you'll adore but no one else will. So I like to go in the day, on a weekday - much smaller crowds, and if I'm really lucky, the whole cinema is empty and I feel like I have booked out the whole place for myself - perfect...


Have the same snack food as always: For me, it's Maltesars and Diet Coke (yes, diet coke, because it's a big packet of Maltesars, and I always manage to eat the whole packet, and the diet coke makes me feel like I am at least making a healthy compromise...). No matter how tempted I am , I won't stray from these choices - a few years ago I had a terrible experience where I thought my snacks were past their use by date and inedible because they tasted funny - but then I realised it was that I had gone with white chocolate Maltesars and lemonade instead of my usual combination! The stress ruined the whole experience....


Get there early: So you can pick where you will sit - and make sure you have an empty seat on either side to help facilitate the solo experience. Even better -


Book your ticket online: then you'll definitely have whatever seat you like. By the way, I am one of those people who absolutely has to sit in their chosen or assigned seat - doesn't matter how empty the cinema is. I get too stressed out if I deviate from the assigned seat - what if the person who is meant to be sitting there comes up and gets cranky at me for sitting in their seat? Then I would have to move - and if someone is sitting in my chair (ooh, I sound like one of the Goldilocks bears), then I have to either make them move, or risk sitting somewhere else, hoping another person doesn't make me move again! So I always sit in my seat. And if someone has taken it - I make them move... well, I tell on them to the teenage movie usher and make him move them for me - what? I don't like confrontation on my solo movie experiences :)


Try to remember that even though you are solo, there may still be other people in the cinema with you: Once I got in trouble from the old(er) man next to me for eating my twisties too loud - the packet was rustling too much. He actually leaned over and said "Do you have to do that ALL THE TIME!" Another reason why I switched to Maltesars.... This one also applies to mobile phone use. Once I was at the movies and a girl (who was also solo) answered her phone during the movie and had a whole conversation ("Hello? Yep, I'm at the movies... No, No, it's ok, I can talk....")?!?


So although it seems like a lot to remember, following these simple steps will generally mean a positive movie experience every time. Which is all I ask for...


PS If you know of any movies coming out soon that you think I should see, let me know!


See you next time,


xo Marissa.

1 comment:

  1. Some great tips there. I used to go by myself all the time. I figured you never really speak in a movie anyway so what does it matter? lol. Nowadays when I get a rare moment to go, there is never anything on :-( Thanks for joining the Weekend Rewind. Lovely to meet you x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...