Monday, October 26, 2009

marissa does the housework...




marissa writes a blog on monday...








So I used to hate housework. I don't mean that in a bad way, but let's face it, chores are boring :)

I have found the only way to get through housework is to love it. Nope, I'm not crazy, I really mean it! I had to fake it at first, but I have found that over time, and with the help of a few cute little props and guidelines, it's become quite enjoyable.

Here's what I do in order to love the jobs I do around the house:

  1. Cooking: I pretend I have my own cooking show. No, I don't actually set up a camera, but I do pretend one is there.. and yes, I talk out loud. Think I surprised my husband the first time he caught me doing it!
  2. Ironing: I have to have a particular iron (a Morphy Richards), and I take my time - no rushing, lots of steam, with a great tv show or movie on in front of me.
  3. Dishes: I like to have pretty gloves (pink or green), and I always wash dishes in a particular order (glasses, cutlery, plates, then platters, bowls and pots). And I stack them to drip dry - I hate drying dishes. Ooh, and my dish rack is a pretty Ikea one!
  4. Making the bed: Always more fun if it's set up like a hotel bed - lots of cushions (sorry Ben!)
  5. Cleaning the bathroom: I like to fold the end of the toilet paper into a little triangle like they do in hotels..
  6. Delegating: I never want to mow the lawn or wash the car. Ever. I'm very lucky that I have a great husband who doesn't mind doing these jobs (and probably knows I would do them very badly). But to be fair, I will never force Ben to do them either. If it is ever my turn to do either of these jobs - I will do them - by delegating them: Jim's mowing for the lawn, and a drive through car wash for the car :)

Those are my top jobs and how I handle them. I know it's a little princessy of me, but we all need to be a little high maintenance from time to time, don't we?

Does anyone have any little tricks or tips of their own to make housework more enjoyable? Leave me a comment and let me know - anything would help! Especially if you have one for cleaning the oven!!

See you next time,

xo Marissa.









1 comment:

  1. Try putting music on and pretending your working out like doing squats to the side when you need to move i always feel very accomplished when i do this as you have not only cleaned the house but also done your exercise for the day/week!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...