Thursday, October 1, 2009

my decluttering nightmare...



marissa writes a blog on thursday...

So this week I thought I would do some decluttering around the house. I thought it would be a great way to get rid of some junk and create extra room for storage - especially seeing I have started my Christmas shopping and need somewhere to store / hide the presents I have bought so far (sorry Ben, not your presents!).

Now, I don't know about you guys, but in my house, we have what I like to call a 'hot spot' - that is, a place where you tend to put things 'just until I get a chance to put it away properly'. Ok, I'll be honest - I have 2 hotspots. The first one is the top of our freezer - I put keys, letters, catalogues, fruit (don't worry, it's in a fruit bowl), pens, magnets, invitations, etc on here. The second is our spare bedroom. In this room I basically put everything that won't fit on top of the freezer.

So I thought to myself, if I can declutter our house a bit, I would have room to store not only the Christmas presents, but our 'hot spot' items as well! I can start in our spare room by decluttering the wardrobes and then I'll have plenty of storage space when I am done! Great idea Marissa. Great idea.... not so great once I started the decluttering. Here are some of the problems I encountered...

I made the room even messier: Decluttering to me means pulling things out of the wardrobe in the spare room and putting those things on the bed in the spare room. Then I go through those things and put them into piles. Then I go through and divide each pile into different categories. For example - take the pile of shoes and divide them into colours (black shoes, red shoes, brown shoes). Then take the black shoe pile and divide that into heels and flats. Then take the heels pile and divide that into 'still in fashion' and 'not in fashion anymore'. Then, after 3 days of leaving piles of shoes on the bed, I take all the shoes and put them back in the wardrobe (well, I can't throw any away - what if they come back into fashion??)

I ran out of time to declutter because I kept reminiscing over things I found: "Oh, here are a box of cds I had when I lived out of home (proceed to spend an hour looking at the back of the cd cases and remember good times from when I listened to them. After the hour is up, I open a few cd cases and realise the actual cds are not in them - must have tried to declutter these a few years ago but didn't actually throw the cases away. And I still don't know where the cds are...)! Oh, here are some Christmas lights I forgot I had (better stop and test them, make sure they are still working... half an hour later....)! Oh, here is the box my engagement ring came in (yes, I kept the box. I do not keep the ring in the box, but I still kept the box - weird, I know)!"

I got bored with decluttering: It's more fun watching a decluttering special on Oprah than it is to do it in real life. On Oprah, it only takes 1 hr total, you get your own declutter expert to help (or do it for you), and they fast forward the boring bits like a Benny Hill episode so it's way more fun to watch. Plus, you get to meet Oprah. If I got to meet Oprah at the end of it, I would probably put more effort into my decluttering. Or at least I should be able to look under my chair and find a present like on Oprah's 'favourite things' shows - that would make decluttering much more worth the effort. Wait, no whatever I find under my chair would probably end up being clutter...

So I have almost given up on the decluttering this week. Don't tell Ben, but I think I might just push all the clutter under the bed and pretend it never happened - he'll never know :)

See you next time,

xo Marissa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...