Friday, October 9, 2009

Potatoes...what happend to the Simple Life?



marissa writes a blog on friday...

So first of all I should point out that tonight's blog is not about bringing back the Paris Hilton / Nicole Richie's show 'The Simple Life'... sorry to all Paris and Nicole fans!

Tonight's blog is about how complicated even the little things in life have become.... things I thought would always stay simple have become more and more complex over the last few years...

Take potatoes.

Yes, potatoes. The other day I went to my local supermarket - a different one to my usual - looking to buy a bag of potatoes. I was making a Thai red curry with prawns for dinner and was planning on adding a few potatoes to make the dish a real comfort food (perfect for this cold weather we have been having lately). Mmmm.....

I wasn't prepared for how many potato choices there would be! I was expecting the usual, of course - regular potatoes, washed potatoes, sweet potatoes, even those purple ones. I was not expecting potatoes categorised into methods of cooking!

I'm talking about what I thought were regular, white potatoes. Did you know that some are meant for boiling, microwaving and mashing, and others are meant for boiling, microwaving, roasting and salads? And the price for a bag of them is a difference of $1.50? And to be honest, I wasn't boiling, mashing, roasting or making a salad - I was just chopping up the potatoes and letting them simmer in my curry... does that mean I was meant to look for another potato type? (And this was just the fresh food section - you should have seen the potato options in the frozen section!)

In the end I decided to be a rebel - I bought the ones for boiling, microwaving and mashing. I figured a) simmering is close to boiling, and b) these potatoes were cheaper...

It took me 10 minutes to make this decision though - I felt a bit guilty that I wasn't buying the exact potato for my cooking style (I even looked around before I picked them up to see if anyone was watching me choose..). But it worked out for the best - the meal was great, the potatoes turned out perfect :)

Next time though, I think I'll shop at my usual supermarket - they only have the regular 3 types of potato so I imagine the choosing will be a lot easier :)

So to sum up, if potatos have now spawned 12 different species, the world is getting much too complicated for me. On the other hand, maybe it's always been like this, and it's just me who hasn't noticed it before.... am I the only one?

See you next time....

xo Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...