Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Rainy Day musings....

It's raining today.

Not pouring, not storming, not hailing... just that slow, romantic drizzle that makes you want to curl up with a blanket and dream the day away..

I love these days. Well, I love them in theory.

You see, while all I want to do is relax, take it slow, and focus on my blanket and snoozing, I just can't seem to switch off my brain - and as a result I have about a hundred things I want to do to make the most of this rainy day.

But I only have an hour of free time now while little Sophie sleeps, so instead of trying to cram all of the things I want to do into that hour, I have decided to list them here and simply imagine I have done them all.

If you need some rainy day comfort, feel free to use these ideas yourself. Either do them for real or just imagine you have and enjoy how calm and content you feel 'remembering' those moments.

So here we go: Marissa's Top 10 things to do on a rainy day...

1. Sit down with a big cup of hot tea and a magazine and listen to the rain on the roof

2. Give yourself an at home pamper session (my favourites are mani/pedi's and I love the Nutrimetics range)

3. Catch up on your reading / napping (note: blanket and comfy lounge / bed required)

4. Iron while watching your favourite rainy day movie (I recommend One Fine Day). Trust me, the soft, swishy sounds and heat from the steam of the iron along with the smug satisfaction of doing chores while relaxing will leave you feeling warm & fuzzy.

5. Sit down with your To Do list and cross off anything that simply cannot be done on a rainy day (that extra load of washing, for example). And don't feel guilty about it - after all, you have still done the ironing ;)

6. Plan an afternoon play session with your kid/s. Put down a big towel and get out the playdough.

7. Pop on a cute apron and cook something gorgeous for dinner. I love risotto on rainy days - all that soothing, repetitive stirring that must be done slowly for a good result. And yes, if you want to, sip some wine from a beautiful glass while you stir and just get lost in the moment.

8. Catch up on your social networking. You don't have to go out and get wet to stay in touch. And don't just have a quick glance on your phone when you get a spare second - really wallow in it if you want to. Pop ABC 2 on for the littlies if needed, then plonk yourself on the lounge with your laptop and open up your Blog, Facebook, Twitter, You Tube and Sunny Mummy pages and get into it. If you're worried abut getting too into it and losing track of time, you can always set a timer to remind you when to finish. Ooh, and you can always open up a woolies / coles online page and do your grocery shopping at the same time. Another chore completed!

9. Organise a drawer, desk or cupboard in your house. Just one will do. Then later on when the house is chaos and the kids are stir crazy from being inside all day, you can sneak off, peek into that drawer and feel the serenity wash over you. Try it :)

10. Take off any binding clothes and put on your most comfy ones. Pyjamas will also work well here. Change the kids into theirs as well if you like. Then build a cubby with blankets and your lounge room furniture. How cozy is that...

Ahh. I feel better already. What a great day.

Please let me know what you do on rainy days at your house, I'd love to know :)

xo Marissa.

1 comment:

  1. ChristineMarie_Friday, July 30, 2010

    This may be weird, but I totally love #7. I do cook risotto when I feel I need to regroup and have a glass of wine while cooking. I like using all the pots on the stove for the broth, the risotto, maybe some shrimp and vegetables. It's soothing, it's comforting and it tastes so good!

    My own personal favorite...the kids choose a movie, I make the popcorn. We close up all the windows and make it as dark as possible. Then we pile together with blankets and turn up the surround sound. Best movie theater ever.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...