Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Laundry Issues...

So, it's been raining a fair bit this week..

Ok, don't quote me on that. It was quite sunny yesterday, but on and off over the past week or so, it's been raining enough to affect my washing.

Notice I said affect my washing, not my washing day.

I'm one of those lucky mums who has at least one load of washing to do every day. And there are only 3 of us living at my house. And one of them is a teeny tiny 1 yr old!

Where does this washing come from, I hear you ask? Or maybe you aren't asking. Maybe you have the same amount of washing, or more, and I should just make peace with my 2 huge, almost always full, washing baskets, because it turns out it's actually normal ;)

Well, I wondered where it all came from. So I sat down, with my Sunny Mummy Assistant (which I just adore, check it out!) and sorted out which day I would wash which laundry.

Stay with me here. I know it sounds a little over the top, but it works for me:

Mon: Bibs and Tea towels (together)
Tues: Sophie's clothes
Wed: Dark clothes
Thurs: Towels
Fri: Light clothes
Sat: Sheets
Sun: Dark clothes (yep, we have a lot of dark clothes)

See? Totally normal :)

Anyway, you would think I live in laundry heaven with this well organised, weekly washing schedule. Nearly, but not quite...

Weather. So unpredictable.

I hang my washing undercover. All the time. Even on sunny days.

I do this for two reasons:

1. Because I normally get distracted by everyday life, and forget it's on the line. And I'm worried something will happen to my washing (not sure why, I suppose there aren't that many people out there who would steal towels and maternity clothes. No, I'm not expecting, I just haven't quite lost the baby weight from Soph yet. Ok, I haven't actually lost any. That's a post for another day..)

2. If the weather changes suddenly, I can't run out and bring in the washing quickly because it's hard to do it with Sophie (no offense Honey Bunny xoxo).

So I hang it undercover all the time.

My problem is, with the weather at the moment, it's taking forever to dry!

And I can't just stop doing the washing until better weather, because I would be swimming in laundry. Not to mention the effect it would have on my ironing schedule ;)

So I have been doing my best, taking off bits and pieces as they dry and replacing them with wet ones. It's not as smooth as I would like it, but hey, it could be worse. At least I have a washing machine.

Imagine how long this post would be if I didn't!

How do you handle your washing?

xo Marissa.

4 comments:

  1. Wow I never thought of sorting by 'type' like that. I just wash a load every day (either colours, or whites, or maybe a few sheets).

    I think as I have two boys, if they've been outside their clothes usually need soaking or washing (they are very active and love mud..) so I am always washing their clothes...don't think I could save their clothes for a specific day or two.

    It is so hard getting stuff dry in winter (am in Melbourne), so at the moment I am constantly rotating stuff on my one clotheshorse that sits over a ducted heating vent! I also use the piano, a side table, and a cabinet to hang stuff off to dry!

    I should buy another clotheshorse but hate the things and I figure Spring is less than a month away... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wether it is good for the environment or the bank balance I couldn't live without my Clothes Dryer.... I wash most days too... whatever is needed but most of it goes in the dryer except my good clothes.
    I am in sydney and have had the same prob with the rain but I don't have a heater or an undercover area to hang thing over or under. I used to use the clothes dryer as a bit of a heater but in the new place can't do that.... Still it is a sanity saver!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problems with washing! But I like your idea of a washing schedule. :) AND I'm going to have to buy another clothes horse (or two!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...I'm a real glutton for punishment....I have always, yes, always, done my laundry, ALL of it on a Friday. I have no clue why....I've been doing it like that since I was 16.

    never occurred to me to schedule doing one load a day!! *LOL* Learn something new everyday. Need to pull out my SMA and add that to my schedule too. Thanks for the wonderful idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...