I hate having a cold, especially when the whole family gets one at the same time. It bites to be sniffly, achy and generally miserable and not be able to delegate the housework and child rearing to a healthy family member.
But if we have to all suffer together, I think it's important to try to stay on the sunny side as much as possible - so here are 5 ways I have found having a cold benefits my family:
- Pyjamas are mandatory: Don't you just love the idea of staying in your snuggly pjs all day long? There's something warm and comforting about the idea of staying in your pyjamas all day. Well, that day has arrived! You can even step it up and add a Snuggie if you like - I won't tell anyone ;)
- Shrink your To Do list: Whether it be written mentally, on scraps of paper, a detailed checklist or typed on a laptop or iphone, most of us have a list of things we need to get done for the day. If you and your family have colds, I give you permission to Shrink That List. Here, let me help you. Cross off anything that needs to be done outside of the house. Yes, that includes work, school, errands. I know you are busy. I know you and/or your significant other should "really go to work anyway". But let me be really clear. Most of your workmates, teachers, and the general public does not want to catch your cold. And honestly, most will forget within 3 months that you had this day off anyway. So why struggle in? Next, Forget the Housework. Why make the bed when you'll be jumping back in soon anyway? And as for dishes? Not today. Get the leftover birthday party paper plates that you won't use again (after all, no-one has the same theme every year these days) and use them up today. And don't bother cooking. It's one day. This is where cup-a-soup and sandwiches belong. See? that's two big chunks of your list gone already! Bet you can find more ways to shrink that list if you try...
- Embrace Nap Time. If your children are small, this wil be easy. When they nap, you nap. No excuses. After all, it's not like you have anywhere you need to go, and there's no housework to be done!
- Now that you are feeling refreshed, round up the family. Everyone's sick which means no one can escape, so family time, here we come! Break out the board games, card games, puzzles etc. Tell your kids (and your other half) that it's not safe to use electronic devices when sick and that you need to find other ways to amuse yourselves. If anyone tries to smuggle in an ipod, put it in the freezer, they'll get the message straight away!
- You'll probably be tired after all this family bonding, so go ahead - be a tv junkie for the rest of the day if you want. (Although, you will have to explain to your kids that you lied about the electronic device safety rules.. but you're the boss, so don't let it trouble you).
So there you go, 5 ways my family makes the most of those annoying, whingy, snuffly, croaky sick days. I'm sure there are many more options!
How do you make the most of days like this?