Image provided here
I am NOT one of the lucky ones that have a dishwasher.
For me, washing the dishes is not fun. I mean, yes, there's water. Yes, there's bubbles. Yes, there's cute rubber gloves. But there are also dirty dishes :(
Here's how I make the most of my dishwashing time. I aim for quick and easy:
- Take a walk around the house and grab every dish from every room. There's nothing worse than finishing the washing up and finding 1 left over at the end.
- Sort the dishes into categories, from cleanest to dirtiest. You can sort them physically on your counter or just come up with the order in your head. Mine goes: baby stuff, glasses/cups, cutlery, plates pots and pans. Yours may be different. That's ok.
- Make sure your dish drainers are completely empty. I have 2. I am not a dryer, I am a stacker. If your drainer(s) are not part of the sink, pop a clean tea towel underneath them to stop any water dripping / flooding onto your counter.
- Start washing, in order - cleanest to dirtiest.
- Stack carefully as you go, so that a) nothing falls, and b) everything can drip dry (e.g. bowls upside down or on an angle).
- Rinse as you go - if you need to. I do a lot of rinsing of baby stuff and glasses, but that's it. I'd rather save the water. And my energy.
And that's it! Now go and do something a lot more fun.
How do you do your dishes?