It's Valentine's Day tomorrow!
Whether you're in a relationship or not, Valentine's Day is the perfect occasion to show someone you care about them :)
A nice dinner out, bit of a pamper treatment, beautiful flowers or a thoughtful gift are all great ways to show someone how much they mean to you.
But what if you can't afford any of these things? Do you pretend it's just another day? Avoid all things red and tell everyone you're allergic to flowers?
No! Being short on $$ doesn't mean you can't have a great Valentine's Day, it just means you get to be a bit more creative. Here are a few ideas on how to make the most of the day on a budget:
- Make your card or gift: Even cards these days can cost upwards to $8! Go back to the days where it was the thought that counted, and set yourself a challenge to make a beautiful card, a mixed cd of romantic songs, a video of you telling someone how much they mean to you, or anything else you can come up with.
- Don't be afraid to get cheesy: Half the fun of this day is to do things you would normally cringe at! Grab a sheet of red cardboard, cut out 2 big hearts and use them as placemats at dinner :) Or look around you - what else can you add a bit of 'love' to?
- Add something red to your day: lipstick, shoes, a bracelet or necklace, coffee cup, change your screen saver to a big red heart, or even pop a little red into your email signature for 24 hrs.
- Take something that's boring and 'sexy it up' a little: Wear something that makes you feel fabulous. Do the dishes in red high heels with your pink rubber gloves on (and little else) if you want to.
- Do a loved one a favour: Take one of their boring everyday jobs and surprise them by doing it or having it done for them - make breakfast, put the bins out, iron clothes for tomorrow, mow the lawn (or call Jim's to mow for you..). Be a bit sneaky if you can so they don't notice until they go to do it, and make their day :)
To me Valentine's Day is really about showing somebody you appreciate them. There are thousands of ways you can do this without spending a fortune.
What will you be doing?