Monday, March 21, 2011

Busy Mum's guide: Organising the washing

washing list
 
I thought I was so clever. Structuring my washing (yes, I structure my washing) so that I was doing 1 load every day. Monday was bibs and tea towels, Tuesday Sophie's clothes, Wednesday dark clothes, etc.

It seemed to work well. But lately it just seems like there's more and more to wash. I can't wash all the dark clothes in one load, so I'm finding myself leaving half of them till the next week. Except we need them before then.

See what I mean? I'm just not getting through it all. But the last thing I need to do right now is create more work for myself. I need to work smarter, not harder.

So I'm changing my plan this week. Instead of assigning clothes to a particular day, I'm going with a rolling roster. That's it. A simple list of each load of washing that I'll go through day by day.

Still just 1 load a day though. I'm working smarter here people, not harder!

How do you stay on top of your washing?

9 comments:

  1. Hmm...how do I stay on top of it? I make Craig do it....just kidding! One load a day is the key, then more if I feel like it, and plan what will be worn so that we wear similar colours that can be washed together...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know someone else is going crazy about the washing! We are only 3 people but the load seem to be unending. I just separate colored vs. whites. That's it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like Joni, all I do is separate whites and colours. I used to keep Dylan's clothes separate when he was a bub, but that very quickly wore off. The only other thing I keep separate is towels and Darren's work socks (which I just throw in together). I tend to leave most of it to the weekend, which means a few loads at once, but doesn't feel like I am always washing that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i do at least 1 load a day, the only things i seperate are school clothes, towels and sheets get done on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have whites, light colours, dark colours and towels. Generally, it's which ever pile is the highest is the one which gets done! One day I'll make a fortune from blogging and can pay someone else to do it! One day....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I separate the colours, but not too strictly. If I only have one or two items of the wrong colour, I'd put them in anyway. I separate the delicates and I also wash my husband's clothes separately, because he insists on proper detergent and I mostly use soapnuts for the rest of us. Summer has been good, with clothes drying quickly, but now that it is raining all the time, the washing is starting to pile up again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One load a day :)
    And when my Mister is home on the weekends, he is known to put on a load or two too. No one ever said men couldn't wash :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate washing, but usually its her clothes & my clothes, then his all the same day, so then I don't have to worry about it until it gets big again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to do a load a day, and I'm not fussy about whites and colours, I just wash on cold.

    Of course I've wrecked too many clothes... but I never learn! x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...