Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Hunger Games: Book and Movie Review



I had a couple of hours to myself last weekend on my flight to Melbourne, so I took a copy of  The Hunger Games on the plane with me.

I hadn't read it before and to be honest, there was so much hype about the movie coming out, I wasn't sure if I would be over it before I even started reading.

I was wrong. I LOVED the book - so much that I bought the other 2 books in the series - Catching Fire and Mockingjay - and had read them both by the end of the weekend.

Then I went to see the movie on Monday night. Yep - that's how much I loved it.

I'm not going to explain the storyline, you've probably heard it already and it's easy enough to Google it.

I will tell you that the movie is pretty true to the book - I only noticed a couple of differences.

So yes - I loved The Hunger Games - the book and the movie. But there was one major problem..

You know when you read a book, picture the characters and then when you watch the movie everyone looks different to how you pictured them?

Well before I read the book I saw all the tv footage of the cast, so I thought I knew what the main characters looked like - but it turned out I had the actors playing Peeta and Gale mixed up. So when I saw the movie and realised Josh Hutcherson was Peeta and Liam Hemsworth was Gale (and not the other way round), it was very confusing for a few minutes!

Has that ever happened to you?

Anyway, I highly recommend both the book and the movie - but read the book first, there's a lot more detail in it and I think it would be harder to grasp the full meaning of some of what happens in the movie without knowing the background the book provides.

You can buy the book for under $12 with free shipping here at The Book Depository.

What about you? Which do you usually do first - read the book or watch the movie?


Credits:

  • I bought the books and my movie ticket with my own money
  • I receive no payment for writing this post
  • I'm a proud affiliate of  The Book Depository .com - please know that if you decide to purchase any of the above books using the link provided I receive a 5% commission. It's not a lot but it helps towards running this blog and Beautifully Organised, so if you purchase anything, thank you - I really appreciate it :)
The Book Depository .com has free shipping worldwide on all of their books and have so many titles to choose from. If you're interested in becoming an affiliate as well, click here.

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository







6 comments:

  1. I liked the movie; I thought that it was quite good in comparison to a lot of book to movies.

    However I liked Peeta in the book and didn't find I really liked Gale. I think for me it was the fact Peeta had loved her since he was five and the story he told in the book. Awe. But in the movie Gale seems more like a competitor for her heart; that's just what I thought. Plus I think he is *ahem* cuter.

    Most of the movie was true to the book; they cut short some parts. Like in the cave we didn't hear Peeta's whole story; we moved to other characters such as President Snow and Gale whilst Katniss was in the arena [that wasn't told in the book].

    I liked them both and am reading the second book now on my kindle :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Peeta was cuter :) I agree about Gale, those moments they showed of him while she was in the arena really showed more than the book did for me..

      Lots more on Seneca Crane in the movie too, I thought!

      Delete
  2. My daughter and I read the first. Loved!! Saw the movie and wanted to read the other two. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only problem was what to do when I finished reading all 3 of them! That happened with Twilight too..

      Delete
  3. Hi Marissa, We are book worms here so ALWAYS read the book before watching the movie! (It's a rule here with the children, Harry Potter etc)In fact, we've usually read the book years before a script is even considered but had only been given the heads-up about this title a month ago. Have read the novels; really enjoyed them and am now looking forward to seeing the movie!
    x KL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh let me know what you think of the movie!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...